Each member of our team is dedicated to making your stay the best it can be. From greeting you upon your arrival, to arranging all the little things that make your stay special, we’re here to help
Founder (in 2006) and owner of Greatbase, Katie has worked in tourist accommodation and property development since 1985 – first running a bed & breakfast along with self-catering cottages before moving back to Edinburgh in 2004. Being a local, she has a wealth of knowledge of the history of the city, the buildings and best cafes, pubs and restaurants and is always open to discovering more. She deals with much of the day to day running of Greatbase and personally welcoming guests to their apartments.
Linyi has a huge amount of experience in international marketing and guest relations. She is wonderful at helping our guests with their enquiries to ensure they choose the perfect holiday apartment for their needs.
She is fluent in English, Cantonese and Mandarin and enjoys travelling to different countries, so she understands how the accommodation and local experience can impact your stay. Linyi’s an invaluable member of the team – service-oriented and with an eternally positive attitude, she strives to provide a truly enjoyable experience for our guests in Edinburgh.
Stuart started with Greatbase in 2019 and is responsible for the general maintenance of all our properties. You’ll likely come across Stuart at your meet and greet or, if you have any questions during your stay, he’ll be around to help. He’s also a great contributor to our blog.
Caring for the environment
At Greatbase we take caring for the environment seriously. We will soon have our ‘Green Tourism’ award from Visit Scotland and we do what we can to recycle, reuse and reduce our waste.
Below are just some of the things we do:
- We are a virtually paperless office. Any paper and cardboard received is recycled (often in our wormery*!)
- Wherever possible, we navigate the city by bicycle, be that for meeting our guests, or popping in to check on properties
- Sometimes we do need to drive and our goal is to replace our diesel-driven van with an electric one as soon as possible to further reduce our impact
- Our cleaners use, wherever possible, environmentally-friendly cleaning products.
- *We have an office wormery and as much of our waste as possible goes in, then is used in the Greatbase allotment to grow the veggies for our office lunchtime soups!
- We leave the garden behind our office to grow as a wildflower garden, creating a haven for as much wildlife as possible
- We encourage our guests to be as environmentally friendly as possible. Details on your nearest recycling point are provided in your welcome notes. We also provide advice on efficient energy use in your apartment.
- We provide refillable toiletries in the apartments to reduce on plastic waste
- We make an annual contribution to the Bumblebees Conservation Trust to support their important work to safeguard our natural flora